Friday, September 26, 2008

More Colorado

On Thursday, the 18th of September, we continued our investigation of the state of Colorado at Rocky Mountain National Park. I thought that I had seen mountains before that day, but I was mistaken. Wow! Now I know where the term "breathtaking" was born. We drove up a mountain to 12,000 feet for some amazing photo opportunities. Near the top, we hopped out at a scenic overlook and were surprised when the chipmunks were scampering right around our feet. There was a time when Jordan jumped backward in horror when he thought one friendly rodent was going to make its way up the leg of his jeans. (We've been teasing Jordan ever since with little chipmunk tickles on his legs when he's too distracted to see us coming.)



Besides chipmunks, we saw deer, a pika, and, of course, hundreds of elk. The bulk elk came down into the meadows in the evenings to impress the lady elk with their strutting, sparring, and bugling. Very cool.

It started to rain/snow before the day was out, so we had to have our picnic in the car, but the sights were something that we'll never forget. The boys really enjoyed checking things out in our friends' binoculars. We've never owned a real pair.



Brett's ginormous camera lens was also really enjoyable. His friend was able to catch the above bull elk right in the middle of making "mouth noises," Brett's all time favorite thing.





Wow! We will definitely be making large copies of some of these photos to frame. Maybe the next time we frame these mountains it will be with the windows of a new home! Patience, Colorado, we're coming someday!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Breathtaking photos. No wonder you want to live there someday.

I just hope Jordan wasn't too traumatized by all those aggressive chipmonks there!! :)