If I try not to think too hard about it, I can almost share in Jordan's excitement today. He could hardly fall asleep last night because he is so happy that it is time to go back to school and friends. We went to an open house at his school last night to find his classroom, meet his teacher, and stock his desk. I thought that he might be a little bit nervous about things, but he wasn't worried about anything at all. He got ready to go in record time this morning -- his bed made, piano practicing done, music workbook finished, and all. I'm so glad that he likes school so much and that he spent time reading all summer so that he is starting at a higher reading level than where he left at last year's end.
I think the only thing keeping me from tears today is fresh memories of our last trip to Walmart before school started. I don't think that I'm exaggerating when I say that I asked Jordan to stop climbing and swinging on the shopping cart 62 times yesterday. His other antic was looping his arms around his brother's legs, piggy-back style, while his brother was seated in the kid seat and dragging the whole apparatus in circles and figure-eights through the produce section, and then again in the meat department. I was so grateful when another child near us in the store started screaming like she had a bee inside her clothing, so that we were not the biggest spectacle in the place for just a short minute. The first day of 2nd grade may be another growing-up milestone in Jordan's life that I shouldn't be thrilled about, but having 7 hours a day with only one child has its benefits.





1 comment:
lol!! So easy to forget those times and only remember the sweet happy blissful moments when everyone was calm and happy when you're my age looking back... (a whole 10 minutes of their childhood!) ha
I love how you write. I'm going to smile all day thinking about your boys in Walmart. :)
Post a Comment